[python] MI5 Persecution: Ken Clarke (1), April 1997 (1578)

MI5Victim na mi5.gov.uk MI5Victim na mi5.gov.uk
Pondělí Srpen 20 22:01:15 CEST 2007

Ken Clarke (1), April 1997

Certainty level: 30%

The first of two video segments from the same program, this shows
Jon Snow interviewing Ken Clarke in April 1997, during the general
election campaign. The following exchange is heard;

Jon Snow: "You say we are booming in your posters, the bust's around the corner"

Ken Clarke: "You took that from three years ago, when I was being
advised to do all kinds of mad things to stimulate the economy,
and being told that I had to take desperate measures to get it going"

At this time I was watching television almost continuously at home,
with a video recorder whirring away, trying to obtain from the
newscasters a reaction which would give them away. I think this is an
instance where it happened. Ken Clarke first darts a glance straight at
the video camera (and perhaps at a monitor next to it showing my living
room), then comes out with "all kinds of mad things", while engaging in a
facial display involving raising of eyebrows and lowering of eyelids.
To me at the time, and also now, it looked as if he was selecting a
context into which he could drop the word "mad" as a directed insult against me.

1578